Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hello, Mom and Dad

Friday evening, Ulysses and I were sitting together on the couch. He was on my lap. He looked at me and said, "Mom? Mom." He turned to Donald, who was in the chair by the couch, and said, "Dad."

Donald and I laughed. "Where did that come from?" we said. I've always been Mama. Donald was Dada, until he became Tata earlier this year. That's Serbian for "Daddy," so I would always refer to him that way speaking Serbian to Ulysses.

Over the course of the weekend. Ulysses gradually replaced all occurences of "Mama" and "Tata" with Mom and Dad. By now, I can't say I've heard either one for at least a couple of days.

There's something so grownup sounding about it. It's freakin' me out!

1 comment:

  1. Well, apparently, I'm "Dad," too, now. So is our friend, Sigurd. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete